DIY Face Oil Experiment

Hi Community Cosmetics Members,

I am a little (maybe too much!) obsessed with DIY natural products because I don’t usually trust ‘natural’ brands to always be healthy for my skin—Ive had way too many of these products do weird things to my skin even though they claim to be good for sensitive skin types. On top of that, I love being creative and finding new ‘recipes’ for making my skin clear and glowing.

Although I do love DIY, I don’t pretend to be a chemist or understand preservatives, which is why I’m thankful we have Community Cosmetics, who we can trust the products are good for our skin (especially since we are being educated in skin care and help create the products ourselves!) and have a long shelf life due to the well-researched preservatives added. With my DIY products, I’ve found they go bad and I either don’t notice until it’s too late, or I end up wasting ingredients that grow mold just days after I mix them together.

I am trying a new set of DIY skin experiments, which I’ve dubbed ‘DIY Mistakes & Miracles’, where I am both the scientist and the lab rat. I want to share my journey to clear and happy skin with you for two reasons: 1. so you can see what kinds of ingredients and mixtures work and what you might want to try, and 2. to give all of you the opportunity to join in and compare against the store-bought products you’re using now. I think we could create an awesome set of experiments that any one visiting the forum could look over and see who’s skin type worked with what DIY product, and how the DIY products compare to a variety of store-bought products.

My first experiment is to rid myself of the acne around my mouth and forehead, mainly due to menstruation and stress. My skin type is combination, and my face can get especially oily. I don’t use a face wash because I find it makes me break out even more, but because it does get dried out as well, I need some type of moisturizer that is acne-fighting, while allowing my face to retain its natural oils.

Wow that was a lot of writing! So for the actual experiment, I’m using two recipes, trying them out for 10 days with pictures on day 5 and 10, while chronicling the amount of acne and shine I have. I am testing it against the Hemp Face Moisturizer by The Body Shop.

Here are the recipes:

1. Lavender Cedarwood Face Oil
    INGREDIENTS:
  •   3 tablespoons jojoba oil

•   1 tablespoon tamanu oil

•   9 drops lavender essential oil*

•   9 drops frankincense essential oil* 

(I’m subbing Cedarwood because I don’t have frankincense, and Cedarwood is a good substitute with great skin recovery benefits. Plus I love the smell!)

Recipe

1. Rosemary Peppermint Face Oil
    INGREDIENTS:
  • 3 ounces jojoba oil
  • 1 ounce shea butter
  • 1 ounce tamanu oil
  • 5 drops rosemary oil
  • 3 drops peppermint

Recipe

I’m starting with the Lavender Cedarwood Face Oil for ten days, so I’ll keep you guys updated. Also, I will see how long the concoction lasts so that we can know if it is good to make every week and a half or so, otherwise the DIY might not be worth the time.

I’ll apply after spraying some rose hydrosol on my face after showering in the morning, and at night before I go to sleep. I use the rose hydrosol because it makes my face wet again, and therefore more susceptible to the moisturizing aspects of the face oil.

Here are the links to the products I used:

Jojoba: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A74442I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rosemary: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PM2T3N6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tamanu: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DCMRRL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Shea:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00987FWHW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lavender:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AFRV7KY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Peppermint: (I actually used one from Thrive Market, but this is a great sub)
https://www.amazon.com/Peppermint-PREMIUM-Pharmaceutical-Grade-Essential/dp/B00P6O9KDS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1531446458&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=peppermint+essential+oil&psc=1
Glass Bottles:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071F9Q1BB/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for reading! I’ll comment with updates, or edit the post in the future. :slight_smile:

UPDATE:

Okay, so it’s been a few weeks and I have some interesting news concerning the outcome of my experiment.

I used the first face oil with cedarwood and lavender for 12 days. I think my skin was getting used to the new oil and definitely made my acne worse for a little while. Then, by day 10, my skin began adjusting to the new oil and my skin cleared up with better results than when I first began.

The second face oil with rosemary and peppermint did the same thing, with results showing around day 11. This one also helped with the dry skin around my nose, which I think was a result of the shea butter. It held in the moisture really well.

I was also moving during this time from New Orleans to Boston, and I think the stress made my acne worse. After trying both oils, I’m now going to try using nothing at all on my face, and see if I can hydrate simply by drinking copious amounts of water (I have a bad habit of drinking much less water than I should) and see if the natural oils on my skin work better than adding anything additional. The photos below are of my face now, after 5 days of not using ANY products on my face, including face wash and cream. While I have more acne than before, my face feels better, and the acne is dryer and just bumpy, not red at all. The feeling of acne is my least favorite part, which contributes to me touching my face and making it worse. Hopefully, this no-product plan (in junction with eating a vegan/ayurvedic diet and exercising) will make this acne go away. I believe that by treating the root cause of the acne, which is stress, I can let my face’s microbiome take care of itself. The stress is due to general anxiety, not enough exercise, and improper diet. I’ll update in a couple weeks or so to let you know how it goes!

Oh and in addition, I’ve found that the no-product and healthy eating/exercising has seriously reduced (if not gotten rid of) my rosacea!

Week 11 Update

WOW! This is crazy awesome! :exploding_head: LOVE your disciplined approach to this, and really appreciate how you laid it out for everyone, including recipes and where to get the ingredients. This looks like so much fun! Super curious to follow this topic and see how it goes for you, I’m sure a bunch of folks here would be interested to get some more effective natural DIY skin care options into their life.

Looking forward to your progress pics and mold status updates :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great post Michelle! :+1:

Wow. Your experiment may actually be the genesis of another skin care line. This is how they get started right, someone wants or needs what isn’t available? You go girl! :dancer:t4:

Wow these are so cool! I very recently started using oil on my face. It always made me nervous because my skin used to be extremely oily, but I also didn’t know too much about skincare overall at that point. Making your own sounds like a great idea. Such an easy way to REALLY know exactly what you put on your skin! Thank you for including full recipes too, I’ll definitely be trying some out. Your skin looks incredible too!

Omg! I love how you lined it all out and what’s in it and the pictures and everything. I am definitely going to stay following this because I also have acne that I would like to get rid of and my face gets oily fast too. I would love to know if this works for you cause I would love to try it myself

Ooh, I’m gonna follow this. I love everything DIY especially personal care products. I have oily sometimes acne prone skin. I have used oils for cleaning my skin (1st step before washing) but not for moisturizing. Can’t wait to see your results! :heart_eyes: