Does collagen really work?

I have used many collagen products, both topical and ingested, and haven’t really seen results. Is there a best way to use it or is it a scam?

I’ve used sheet masks that claim to have collagen in them but to be honest I think as long as it has a drop in a product it can claim it. I don’t know if it really works. Hopefully someone can give you a better answer.

I’ve read a few articles that ingesting collagen isn’t necessarily effective.

I’ve used it and I feel like I’ve seen results from it topically but I have never ingested it directly or intentionally as a supplement though it is a naturally occurring byproduct of some foods. It certainly couldn’t hurt.

I feel the same way about Biotin, I wonder if it does anything. I have taken it intentionally as a supplement for months to help with brittle nails and haven’t seen any difference.

I found this analysis but it’s behind a paywall so I added it to my to-read list but haven’t tracked down the full article yet: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28628687/

Edit: I skimmed too quickly, this is for hair. The suggested articles have some nail info though.