FaceOff Results: Dark Under-Eye Circles!

|Leven Rose|01|
|100% Pure|02|
|Weil|03|
|Neutrogena|04|
|Nuva Skin|05|
|BaeBody|06|
|Olay|07|
|Cerave|08|
|Kiss Red E|09|
|Hello Lovely|10|
|La Mer|11|
|Organys|12|

Dark circles under the eyes are a common cosmetics issue today that many people are trying to find a solution for. If you have dark under-eye circles you have probably been told “Are you ok? You look tired.”, which no one wants to hear!
adult-brown-eyes-brunette-1475426%20(2)
Yes, makeup can help cover it up, but you can’t always hide those dark circles.

The causes are varied and most commonly include vascular changes and leakage, discoloration from blood breaking down, inflammation, iron deposition staining, thinning skin, or uneven texture. It’s an issue most of us deal with one time or another in our lives.

What can you do about it?

There are so many products advertised to “Brighten! Tighten! Instantly reduces the appearance of fine lines and dark circles!”, but which products actually work to reduce the dark under-eye circles?

At FaceOff, a community of cosmetic and skin care lovers across the Nation, we wanted to conduct a scientific blind study to determine which, if any, of the commercially available products advertised to reduce the appearance of dark under-eye circles actually did just that. *We are not affiliated nor are we working for any brand mentioned here. This is a purely scientific study to see what works and what doesn’t.

How did we do it?

We scoured all of the top skin care lines for the most popular and most talked about creams that advertised to reduce dark circles.
Skincare%20Brands

After intense research and analyzing which products to use in our blind study, we decided on these 12:

• Coffee Eye Lift Serum by Leven Rose Pure, Organic, Natural Reduces Puffiness, Anti Aging, Brightens Tired Eyes
  • 100% PURE Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream for Wrinkles, Anti-Aging, Dark Circles Under Eye Treatment for Eyelids and Under-Eye Area
  • Origins Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins & Mega-Bright Dark Circle Minimizer
  • Neutrogena Healthy Skin Eye Firming Cream with Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Vitamin A & Vitamin B5 - Eye Cream for Wrinkles
  • Nuva Skin Intensive Eye Cream with Rosehip & Hibiscus – Anti-Aging Under Eye Cream - Reduce the Appearance of Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Dark Circles, Puffiness and Bags
  • Baebody Eye Gel for Appearance of Dark Circles, Puffiness, Wrinkles and Bags. - for Under and Around Eyes
  • Olay Ultimate Eye Cream for Wrinkles, Puffy Eyes + Dark Circles
  • CeraVe Eye Repair Cream, Eye Cream for Dark Circles and Puffiness
  • Kiss Red E Anti Aging Eye Cream for Dark Circles, Eye Bags, Fine Lines, Puffiness
  • Hello Lovely! Extra Strength Moisturizer Treatment for Dark Circles, Puffiness & Bags Under Eyes - Natural Anti Aging, Anti Wrinkle Eye Care Serum for Men & Women
  • La Mer the Eye Concentrate
  • Organys Eye Cream For Dark Circles, Under Eye Bags & Fine Lines

The selected products price range from $10 to over $200, and were a mixture of cream, gel, and serum.

Product%20Lineup

Now that the products were chosen, we needed willing participants to test for effectiveness. Over 150 people from across the US signed-up to participate in this study!

Our hardworking team of researchers transferred each of the 12 products into unmarked sample containers and used a randomizing formula to randomly assign each of the samples to each of the participants, even down to which cream to use under which eye.

We then carefully packaged the 300 containers into charming little boxes with the instructions. FaceOff mailed over $10,000 worth of product to our participants! If you were one of our participants, which ones do you think you were sent?

Our participants were instructed to apply each sample on a specific eye every day twice a day for 30 consecutive days. They also took and submitted daily photographs of each eye and a frontal photo of both eyes, which resulted in over 13,000 images to go through and visually check for changes. That’s a lot of photographs to go through!

Along with the photographs, we also collected feedback from the participants along the way with how their experience was going with the FaceOff study and using the products.

Did any of the 12 products actually work?

After the 30 days, each of the participants completed an online survey of their experience using their randomly assigned products. The survey consisted of a list of questions such as “What was the scent of your Cream?” or “On a scale of 1-10, what was the effectiveness of Your Cream?”. We based the effectiveness of the cream based on how the participants answered the effectiveness scale with 1 being not effective at all to 10 being very effective. Our effectiveness percentage score was derived from this scale; the higher the cream was scored on the scale, the more effective the product.

Out of the 12 tested products, the product that tested most effective by our participants was Hello Lovely with a 15.6% effectiveness rating! Check out how each of the product’s effectiveness’s were rated compared to each other:

The participants who were randomly assigned to test the winning Hello Lovely provided us with their experience using the product:

“It gave me a slight tingling effect which I personally love!(if it tingles for some reason I think it’s working better)haha! I did notice a difference in the darkness under my eye. It wasn’t a “knock your socks off” result but it was well worth using! It may be the case that the longer you use, the more dramatic the results…I would (and hopefully will) continue to use this pending the product reveal I’m almost out :(“

“The cream was nicely effective at reducing discoloration while also showing some reduction in puffiness as well as some tightening.”

“I can feel it working if that makes sense. I wanna put it all over my face but I’m almost out!”

“Creamy and delicious feeling”

The Hello Lovely winning product can be purchased from many retail stores or Amazon, where it has an impressive 4 out of 5 star rating, and only costs $13. La Mer, the most expensive product costing over $200 was surprisingly the least effective! Advertised as “A concentrated multi-use treatment to strengthen, visibly soothe, and protect fragile skin” clearly didn’t do as it should for our participants.

Our conclusion, not all products work on everyone and how much a product costs doesn’t necessarily mean that they work better than the less expensive ones.

Did you participate in our Dark Under-Eye FaceOff study? Let us know if you continued using your products and if you’ve seen any additional changes, or just drop us a comment letting us know how you liked participating in a FaceOff study!

We encourage you to join our next amazing squad of participants in the next FaceOff and continue to be active in the Community Cosmetics forum!

7 Likes

I’m 50/50% shocked :astonished: that the more expensive products were the LEAST effective! Not wasting my money on that anymore!

2 Likes

I want to say a huge Thank you for including me in the study. It was very interesting and fun.

So not surprised that the expensive product didn’t work. Seems like the lower prices always work better.
I do have a question, is there a list that has the product name that goes with each number? I would like to know which ones I used.
Thank you

2 Likes

Aha! I knew the other eye gel I was using was Baebody! I’m surprised that the Weil one was in the least favorite part coz I liked it better than Baebody.

I’m grateful to have been part of FaceOff. It was fun, very informative, and it really made me stick to my eye routine. I continued using the Weil cream after the test period but still hasn’t noticed any big change. I’m just happy to put it on to prevent dryness in my eye area.

With the results out, I would very much like to try Hello Lovely now and see what it does to my skin. Thank you Community Cosmetics for this wonderful opportunity!

2 Likes

Hello,

I enjoyed seeing the results of the dark circle cream study since that is my biggest eye problem. I will be trying trying out the Hello Lovely product very soon. It is interesting to see that an affordable option beat out the most expensive one. When will the next study be? Will it be sent via email? I would love to participate.

2 Likes

I did get to participate in the Face-off Dark Circles study, unfortunately neither of my products worked for dark circles, however one helped with puffiness, and the other with fine lines, which I needed help on as well. Before being in this study I was using a few different skincare items, but not daily. From being in this study, I started an entirely new skincare routine and started doing it daily, and continued the use till products were both gone. I used both products on both eyes and improved both puffiness and fine lines on both eyes. I also continue the rest of my skincare routine every day now, with other products of course, some old and some new. I would love to participate in upcoming studies! It is never a disappointment to me even when I have tried a product and see no results, cause to me, if I try them and see no results, I can then spread the word to help others, save their time and money on a product that may not work. And it’s always a huge excitement when I find a product that does actually work! Cause then I can do even more maybe and help them find one they may love! I absolutely love the fact we didn’t have a clue what products we were using. For me it helped better focus on the results and the fact of them working, or lack there of. I love that the study got me started on my own “every day” routine, for which I am thankful because my skin has improved from doing so. I am actually about to head over to Amazon and check out the Hello Lovely product, and I also would love to try the Coffee Eye Lift Serum and Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream too! I am so happy that we did find a product that worked for some and am excited to try these products to see if they provide the same results for me as they have others. I would like to thank everyone involved for letting me participate in the face-off study and I look forward to staying active in the community to continue to learn even more. I am happy to be here and happy to learn as well as pass on my own knowledge of products I have used in hopes we all find the products we love and that work for us all! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I’m surprised at how many different products were used as well as the price ranges.

2 Likes

I requested a small La Mer sample and gave it to my mom. She wasn’t impressed by it. You’d think for that price point the products would be effective.

1 Like

I received a sample of the concentrate and I wasn’t impressed with it either! It was like an oil, and I have combination skin, which didn’t go well together at all! I can’t believe the prices of some of their products for them to not work very well!

I liked that but I felt it wasn’t enough to really have a full opinion if it worked for me or not. I think the sample I requested was on of the creams. It’s amazing how much that stuff costs.

1 Like

D’oh! We’ve updated the post, please see above.

I loved being a part of this study! I still use one of the products that I tested. It seemed to work better than the other one. Thanks for having me in the study and I would love to do another one!

1 Like

I’m glad I was able to participate in this study, to help with the results. I know those in the CC community have direct access to the results of the study. But I was wondering, @John will you or have you decided on a way for people outside CC to have access to the results of the eye creams? If I were searching for one, I would love to know in advance how they performed for others, before spending money.

1 Like

Hi Cherri, the results are public! Anyone can see them :smile:

1 Like

Thank you for letting me be part of this! I really enjoyed it. I still use the eye creams, though not every night as I’m forgetful. I have a bit left of each. :blush:

1 Like

Hi! Its great to see the results. I really enjoyed participating in the study. Is the 12 list of products we used go by the numbers we were given? I really liked the one that smelled like vanilla cake. I will try the product that you are suggesting. I would love to participate again. Thank you for all the hard work!

That’s correct! The numbers in the post above correspond to the number on the product you tested.

Wow! That’s crazy actually did receive number 11 La Mer and did not get any result was so ever. I can’t believe that dream I was from them. Knowing is such a high-end brand and that it does not work whatsoever; like it didn’t for me is just crazy!