Growing a garden to make beauty products

@cowgirl78 mentioned she beekeeps and @John mentioned his desire to raise chickens recently. Has anyone ever considered growing a beauty garden? I grow lavender, spearmint, roses, peaches, pears, marigolds, harebell, lillies, sweet violets, wild violets, a collection of different sage, and many herbs that have so many great benefits for skin and hair. It’s such a blessing to be able to harvest something and make a salve, balm, lotion, toner, etc. Do you ever glean from your neighbor or a favorite place you go hiking to make something for your body? I’d love to know your thoughts!

my mother grows spearmint, and lavendar. i hadn’t ever really thought about doing it myself though

I’ve never made skin care from the garden. I do use my spearmint for teas but that’s about it.

This sounds divine.
There’t nothing quite like growing your own food and consuming it… so satisfying and rewarding.
Would love to see your garden if you have pics.

Oh boy, I’d love to do this! I’ve never had a nice garden like that, but it sounds amazing. I’d especially love being able to truly know absolutely EVERYTHING that’s going into my products since I’d be making them myself! This is definitely something I need to do in the future when I’m able to. And yes I agree with John, please share pictures!

I have a yard full of flowers and some herbs, but I have never done anything with them, other than use herbs for cooking.
I also have 3 large blueberry bushes that will have ripe berries soon.
They sit right next to the bees!
Blueberries are a great antioxidant, which helps our bodies protect against disease and age-related health risks.

Attachments

:clap:t4:Much applause to you gardeners! It doesn’t get any more natural than that. I sometimes think I would love the benefit of my own garden, but then I’m hit with the reality that I would have to be outside, in Alabama’s heat.

Beautiful hives!
Fresh blueberries are the best.
I picked some up in Maine a few years ago from a local farm.
Yumm!

Oh that sounds amazing!
Would love to do that one day!
The most I ever did was have a little wall herb garden.

I’ve grown mint and
rosemary (pot of it outside my office door), but now
it’s mostly catnip, the cats win again!

I have sage, lavender, mint, spearmint, wild honeysuckle and a few other wild herbs growing my yard along with my veggie garden. I recently bought a 100yr old house that had a lot of wonderful things growing wild in the yard (it was empty for 7 yrs). I bought a home distiller so I could try my hand at making essential oils. Mint will be the first experiment. I am excited to have oils to make some homemade cosmetics or at least try!

I drink catnip tea :slight_smile:

My mom grows spearmint too! She also has a catnip plant. I live in an apartment currently so I only have a few small pots of flowers.

I would love to grow a garden to make beauty products but I would have no idea where to start.
I guess I need to do some research.
I’ll use your ideas here as to what to plant but then I’ll need to research what to do with them once they’re grown.

this looks like a nice garden plannerhttps://www.smartgardener.com/

I recall years ago, my great aunt growing mint that we would handpick for our iced teas. I was probably 6 or 7 years old and I thought I was one of the grown ups! After reading Alpacas’ post, it makes me curious at planting a little garden of goodies that I could use to make more natural products at home.

For what it’s worth, anything in the mint family will grow and self seed with virtually no care. My wealth of catnip (though I’ve decided not to do it this year to have room for other things) came from a cut bunch someone gave me, no roots, no nothing. I had too much so I figured I’d stick the ends in the ground and see if they took root.
10+ years later, I’ve still got plants coming up. If you have room for mint, it’ll do the same.

I plan to grow lavender and various kitchen herbs (basil, parsley, oregano) in a window box when I buy a house in the not to distant future. I really love the smell of lavender and I also heard it keeps away mosquitoes if you plant it near your doorways.

I have a pretty big garden we grow for food, but I’ve never really thought about growing things for making my own beauty products. I’ve always just grown corn, green beans, tomatoes, peppers and other veggies because I love fresh vegetables… they seem to taste so much better than the stuff sold at the grocery stores. Growing your own ingredients for beauty sounds really interesting though.

My landlady grows this huge food garden every year with lots of herbs and whatnot.
I started drying her lavender last year and she made a balm with it.