Introduction to the Daily Light Body Moisturizer

Hello Co-Creators!

We have loved sharing content with you about Body Wash, and have learned so much from your preferences and experiences, thank you! While our lab is working formulating the Body Wash for you to sample,
we are gearing up to begin developing our second product we’re creating together, the
Daily Light Body Moisturizer.

Moisturizers typically have 3 types of ingredients doing the work:

Humectants: Substances which bind and attract water, they work by pulling in atmospheric moisture and resist losing moisture to evaporation.

Occlusives: Large, heavy molecules which provide a physical barrier to the outer layer of skin, helping prevent Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL).

Emollients: Improve the appearance of the skin by smoothing and filling in
the gaps of dry, flaky skin cells.

This video is a nice overview of how these ingredients work.

We’ll also need a way to deliver the moisturizer to your skin, and we’d like to explore the following three options with you:

Body Lotion
You are all familiar with body lotion: Viscous, smooth liquid preparation designed to soften and moisturize the skin. Lotions are comprised of an emulgent, an aqueous (water) phase, and an oily phase. The emulgent is a chemical that allows water and oils to mix together. The water phase can be pure water, or water based ingredients such as hydrosols and teas. The oil phase is typically a plant based oil such as Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil, or Argan Oil. Additional ingredients such as vitamins, botanical extracts, emollients, and fragrance may be added as well. This is the most moisturizing application of the three we’re exploring here.

Body Milk
Body Milks are basically ultra-lightweight lotions. Body Milks use similar ingredients to Body Lotions, but are significantly less viscous due to a higher percentage of the water phase. Body Milks are light, potentially spray-able liquids which absorb into the skin quickly.

Dry Oil Body Spray
A Dry Oil Body Spray is a non-greasy (when compared to Mineral Oil), quick absorbing oil. Natural Dry Oil formulations consist of a blend of lightweight, emollient seed and nut oils, Vitamin E, and skin conditioning essential oils, without water.

There’s no wrong answer, it’s really a matter of personal preference and skin feel.

We’ll introduce a poll to get your thoughts on a moisturizing delivery vehicle in a couple of days, after you’ve had an opportunity to first chat with your fellow Co-Creators about your experiences.What is your go-to summer moisturizer… a lotion, milk, or dry oil?What have you loved or hated… why? We’ve heard some requests for shimmer, wonderful feedback!

Keep the ideas rolling in :slight_smile:

I started using and in shower moisturizer a few months back and love it! I like that it can be applied on wet skin and it makes my skin feel so smooth. A shimmer lotion would be great for the warm summer months!

Can you tell me which one?

I use the Jergens Wet Skin Moisturizer

Shimmer is still sounding good. I’m a little concerned about the oils (how dry can an oil be?) but the thought of almond or sesame in summer is too sensuous to write off!

That was a lot of great info. I tried jojoba oil and shea butter to moisturize my skin and I loved it.

I haven’t really found my go to summer moisturizer yet. But, for summer, I think I would prefer something light and not super sticky or greasy feeling. Something that smells amazing and leaves my skin soft and nourished, without feeling really thick and heavy, would be perfect. Also, it would be awesome if it gave my skin a healthy looking, lit from within sort of glow.

I love reading the science behind skincare!!! so saw you mention hydrosols and I actually use hydrosol sprays before and after using my serums and moisturizers!
I have products with hyaluronic acid in them which holds 1000x its weight in moisture, so using refreshing hydrosol sprays afterwards makes sure it will absorb into my skin.

I love the creamy feel of a thick body lotion on my skin. It guarantees that I won’t have to reapply it during the day. But I used to use Neutrogena’s Sesame Body Oil and loved it. The issue I had with the body oil was having to wait a significant amount of time for it to dry so it wouldn’t ruin my clothes. Will the Dry Oil Body Spray require a drying time before getting dressed?

I like using Burts Bees’ body lotion…a couple different varieties, throughout the year.
One of the Burts Bees’
lotions has royal jelly in it.
My husband and I have 3 bee hives in our back yard so I get to see first hand what royal jelly does for the queen bee, so I’m hoping some of that magic rubs off on me!
haha!
I also like another lotion that contains coconut and grapeseed oil.

My favorite summer moisturizer is a type of lotion. It’s
AmLactin Alpha-Hydroxy Therapy Daily Moisturizing body lotion. I use it when I tend to show more skin like in the summer because of my “chicken skin” (keratosis pilaris). It feels light, doesn’t smell like anything, (burns a little) but smooths out my bumpy dry skin.
I’ve tried other products like Bath and Body Works (which works good but just not as well as AmLactin due to the special ingredients in AmLactin). If I’m not using AmLactin though I’m using some sort of festive/winter-scented Bath and Body Works one. Ever since they changed all of their products to include shea butter I’ve loved them even more.

I agree! I got a sample for some a while back and never turned back! It was a Nivea sample but I’ve bought a few others since. I have also tried Jergen’s and liked it!

I’m a big fan of lotion. I have tried so many and have a lot of go-to’s. I don’t really have a summer go-to just yet. I am currently working on a few bottles of Clinique lotion that was gifted to me over Christmas and I’m happy with it. It has no scent though and I’m all about yummy scents!

I use the Aveeno Daily Moisturizing lotion year round. I feel like it’s light enough for summer, but still very hydrating in winter. I can’t think of anything I’ve truly hated, probably because I’ve just been using this one for so long! Personally, I wouldn’t like anything with shimmer.Before this I only heard of Humectants and Emmolients, it was interesting to learn about Occlusives!

During the summer I normally use a lotion but after reading this I think I’d prefer using a milk. A spray form sounds amazing! A spray would be so convenient for when I’m on the go! Lotions can be so thick especially when I’ll be outside and sweating! Yes shimmer is my favorite during summer! It adds a gorgeous glow!

For me I am all about lotions and potions to hydrate my skin year round even in the hot humid Texas summer.
My normal ways of hydrating my body, I keep a bottle of Palmer’s oil or L’Occitane Supple Skin Oil and after I turn off my shower and before I grab my towel I reach for one of these and from neck to toes I apply and then towel dry off.
I also use lots of different lotions but my favorite thing to do is to take an empty tub and combine many different lotions into it and shake it up to mix well.
I don’t believe that any ONE moisturizer is going to give my skin everything it needs so that’s why I love to mix things together.

For summer I prefer a dry oil!
I feel like they absorb better, go on better and leave my skin instantly looking better and feel very hydrated and moisturized!

I don’t love lotions because I feel like they take too long to apply, and I can be a little lazy after my shower… Plus, I do agree that they could be too heavy for the summer months. I would absolutely love a spray moisturizer! And shimmer sounds great to me.

Yes a shimmery dry body oil! Sounds amazing!

I use body lotion daily, but especially after a shower. I either use a body oil (a mix of coconut oil, olive, sweet almond, and/or argan oil) while my skin is still wet or in shower body lotion (Jergens Wet Skin Monoi oil or Nivea in shower body lotion).
I can’t skip the lotion, even if I moisturize in the shower. My skin needs all the moisture it can get and I have found the combination of moisture while my skin is wet, drying off, and then sealing it all in with lotion has kept my skin pretty soft. I fluctuate between lotions depending on summer or winter. I use Jergens with Shea Butter for summer usually and Shea Moisture Shea Butter Ultra Moisturizing Body Lotion.
I really like Shea Moisture products and they work really well. I