Keloid Scars

Does anyone here have any experience with keloid scars? I have several small ones on both shoulders. I was told by my original dermatologist that I got them because I “picked at my skin” (I didn’t, never even had acne there.) My current dermatologist said it’s possible to just get them when your skin is prone to acne. We tried cortizone injections but they didn’t help. As far as I know, the next option is laser treatment which is entirely out of my budget.To get to the point, has anyone ever had them and gotten rid of them? They itch so bad pretty often and they keep me from wearing tank tops.

Different types of skin react to things differently.
Apparently you form keloids. Apparently the dermatologist went with something he/she sees happen. I bet you’re the only one who thinks twice about those little scars. Enjoy your tank tops, it’s going to be a hot summer.

you could try amazon they have a lot of scar creams and washes.

mederma scar cream is one of the top ones i have heard of.

Attachments

here is one that has a very pleasant scent

Attachments

here is another one that worked really good for a friend of mine.

Attachments

one of the things i found about treatment is this article.
What’s the treatment for keloids?Asked by Suzanne Fernandes, United Arab EmiratesWhat is the treatment for keloids?Living Well ExpertDr. Jennifer ShuPediatrician,Children’s Medical GroupExpert answerThanks for asking about keloids, which are a type of abnormally thick and raised scars. These scars tend to occur in people with darker skin and can result from a wide range of skin injuries, from minor scratches to body piercings, burns and surgical incisions. The scars may be slightly larger than the injured area or may grow well into the surrounding areas of skin and become several inches long and wide. Keloids can develop over weeks or months and typically do not go away on their own.Whenever possible, it’s best to try to prevent keloids from happening in the first place. For example, someone who is known to be prone to keloids may want to avoid ear piercings or tattoos. Also, avoiding the sun as a keloid is forming can help keep the scar from becoming darker than the surrounding skin.One way to treat keloids is to remove them surgically, but because most people with keloids continue to be prone to abnormal scarring, a keloid may grow back in the same place after the surgery. Surgical removal is often more effective if combined with a non-surgical treatment.Non-surgical treatments may involve injecting a steroid into the scar, which is currently the most common therapy for keloids. It may also be helpful to apply pressure to the keloid with a compression bandage (or a compression earring if the keloid is on the earlobe), or to cover the scar with an occlusive silicone gel dressing. Some people try medication creams and injections that can alter the way the body’s immune system and healing cells respond to the wound.Other possible treatments for keloids include laser therapy, radiation or freezing (cryotherapy). Because keloids can be very difficult to reduce or remove, it is important to work with a physician who specializes in skin scarring and healing to help find the best treatment.

i will just share the link if there is anything else on here that might be useful…
https://www.google.com/search?q=causes+of+keloid+scars+other+then+acne&oq=causes+of+keloid+scars+other+then+acne&aqs=chrome..69i57.12363j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

there are scar treatment creams you can buy over the counter like Mederma or even bio-oil that may help even the skin out a bit. But as someone mentioned above a dermatologist may give you a treatment that they see fit.
I don’t understand how a cortisone treatment would help the scar but that’s just my opinion.
I have a scar on my back from childhood and I doesn’t stop me from wearing tank tops. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/bio-oil-skincare-oil/ID=prod3156430-product

The only time I’ve ever seen a keloid scar was when I was in college and a guy had gotten a fraternity brand on his chest and was showing a group of us the result. It looked so painful even though it had already healed. I didn’t realize skin could form a keloid scar on its own. He was proudly showing off his scar. And I’m sure your scars look nothing like his. Wear your tank tops girl!

A number of topical treatment modalities have been successfully used to tread keloids and hypertrophic scars. A common technique used at the initial time of diagnosis is gentle massage of the site. Instructions to the patient include a gentle rocking massage for several minutes to be performed several times per day. This can be useful for smaller scars and especially in sites where web formation is a possibility. The use of topical “keloid medications” has not been shown to be better than just massage alone.

Robert Baran, et al. Textbook of Cosmetic Dermatology. Boca Raton, CRC Press, 2017