Keratosis Pilaris (KP) aka chicken skin

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always had rough, bumpy, splotchy patches of skin on the backs of my arms and all over my legs (mostly on my thighs and calves). Up until recently I had no clue what it was and honestly became so used to it I just came to accept it. After reading a magazine article, I figured out that I have what is called keratosis pilaris (KP) or “chicken skin”. I immediately started trying products but none worked well for me up until I found this gem:

It has worked wonders for my skin! Now, it can be a bit painful the first few uses but trust me the pain is worth the gain. It is important to read and follow the instructions closely, though, in order for it work properly. Since my skin is a bit on the sensitive side, I use it only once a week but now I am at the point where I am “maintaining” so it doesn’t take long at all! I follow it up with fragrance free lotion.

My confidence is at an all-time high now that I can wear short sleeves and shorts without anxiety! Does anyone else suffer from this? If so, what product(s) do you use?

Nice link from the AAD:

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/bumps-and-growths/keratosis-pilaris

I think I may have some of this on my legs… little red bumps, but not to the point of chicken skin, so it’s mild. I do enjoy a good exfoliating glove in the shower, and the new ones my wife got aren’t as scratchy as the old ones, so I need an upgrade. I’ll give this a shot and report back, thanks Kim!

I will say I’ve been using this viscous cream from CeraVe and my skin responds well to it, I tend to have dry skin and this keeps me feeling moisturized all day.

I’m glad you don’t have a serious case of it! And just fair warning, this is definitely a lot more intense than a regular exfoliating glove. This product was built for results so definitely only use mild pressure if your goal is to exfoliate. Possible TMI but I could actually see the problem areas flaking off in the shower as I used it! I’ve never had that experience before with any other glove or cloth.

Thanks for the tip on CeraVe! I have seen their products around but never gave them a try.

I had this problem in my mid-20s and most of my 30s. It got to the point where it was so bad on my upper arms that I wouldn’t wear anything sleeveless for a good 15 years. It’s odd though, after I had GBS surgery it just kind of disappeared (at the age of 39) and I have no idea why. Perhaps it was something in my diet previously caused it? We really don’t know.

This may be helpful I was contacted by them and I’ll keep you all posted on how the product works. I don’t have eczema but the company states it can be used for various skin issues.

I’m glad to hear the issue stopped on its own for you! Mine is mostly noticeable to just me unless someone purposefully brushes my skin but I know it’s there so I feel like everyone focuses on it.

Definitely looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this! Thanks for the link.

Your welcome. When the company first contacted me I posted a question via Facebook and I had a lot of ladies say they love the product for their skin conditions. so we’ll see.

Are you currently testing for a skin condition? Can you do a before/after?

The product hasn’t arrived yet and I will do a before an after.

I’ve also had this for the majority of my life. It’s on my upper arms and I have random patches of it on my legs. I was never able to find anything that actually helped it, so I’m excited to give this a try! I’m pretty much willing to try anything lol. Thank you so much for sharing!

You’re welcome! I can’t wait to hear how you like it.

Got my mitt this weekend. Have only used it once. I didn’t find it painful at all, actually mild compared to my current scrub gloves. Seems nice so far, will update in a couple weeks after regular use.

the product i mentioned arrived today. I’m going to start using it and I’ll give you all an update.

Awesome, looking forward to your review, thanks Vanessa!

I’ve also read that exfoliating is key to the KP. I know I tend to have a lot of little bumps during the winter when I’m not shaving my legs as much and I didn’t have as much of a problem when I used an exfoliating scrub or cloth on my body.