Makeup Motivation

So guys,

what motivates you to wear makeup? I do it every now and then, sometimes for fun, to look good or to release stress.

4 Likes

Lol! Those are some good reasons! For me it’s as simple as enhancing my natural beauty! Or to cover blemishes and acne. However I only do so when I’m leaving the house or for occasions.

2 Likes

At this point i only wear it for special occasions. Sometimes to go out to dinner or when I go to concerts most of the time I’m bare faced.

2 Likes

I wear makeup because it makes me feel good about myself. I see patients and their families every day and want to look good and professional.
I think it makes you look healthy and self confident.

2 Likes

Of course there’s the standard answer that I like to look pretty, and with makeup I can choose which features to accentuate or tone down. I have a few others too, though.

I’m not sure how to word this to convey the exact feeling but one reason is to make things “even” (shape, color, symmetry). It’s like the same reason I alphabetize my bookshelf and make sure that all of the spines are flush to the outside rather than pushed in to the wall with some books deeper than others.

This is becoming less important as I get older but I also used to wear makeup to look older and more professional for work. This wasn’t out of personal insecurity or assumptions - I’d actually get asked how old I am, how much experience I have, whether I have kids, etc. very often when I started my career. I always had to prove that I’m not incompetent if I didn’t have makeup on, but with makeup people either assumed competency or didn’t make any assumptions at all.

Another somewhat small and arbitrary reason is that I like having a routine. Putting on makeup while getting ready gives me time to think about the upcoming day, and taking it off at night is a good time to reflect on the day. With the makeup routine, I have a guaranteed time I can count on for those kinds of thoughts so I also don’t ruminate as much because I know I have my designated time and place for worrying, overanalyzing, daydreaming, whatever. I think if I actually liked the taste of coffee, I’d be able to replicate this by getting into French press… but I hate the taste so my morning coffee routine is to wait until it’s lukewarm and then chug it for the caffeine :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I do it for fun, when I am bored, when I am going out for a very special occasion.

2 Likes

I do full make up when I want to cover up acne and I’m leaving the house. Most days though I do eyeliner and mascara.

For me, I feel like if I don’t do liquid eyeliner frequently I mess up more when applying it.

1 Like

I only wear makeup once a year. Lol it’s only for me to justify keeping a few bags of old products and also it reassures me that I still know how to make myself up. I’m very confident in who I am and don’t feel the need to wear makeup all of the time. Not to mention- going without makeup can help you break out A LOT less!

1 Like

I only use on rare occasions. I had a girl’s night out about 6 years ago and got dressed up for that.

1 Like

I don’t wear makeup very often at all. I keep it simple with a little mascara and lipstick.

1 Like

I don’t feel like I necessarily need to wear makeup to look better but I do feel more confident wearing it. I also feel sexier with my husband when I’m made up. I also love beauty products and trying new stuff, I have fun applying makeup.

1 Like

Yeah, makeup is a sort of like art.

I’m not exactly sure when it happened, but I don’t wear makeup as much as I used to wear it. And if you’re wondering, It’s not because I’m lazy. I like how I look in makeup, but I also want skin that allows me to confidently go without it.
In pursuit of clearer skin, more even toned, to be exact, I have noticed an improvement since I started doing chemical peels. So, I would say my Makeup Motivation now is geared more to special occasions, for a more polished look.

1 Like

Nice. I have never tried a chemical peel. I hope it’s safe for the skin.

@naffy786 Yes, chemical peels are safe for the skin. BUT the directions have to be followed precisely, and a patch test should be done before a total application.

I like to think of a chemical peel being similar to a teeth cleaning, everything that has caked up on and is in between your teeth is removed. A chemical peel removes, over time, the marks of sun damage, hyperpigmentation, acne scars, etc. Clearer, brighter, more youthful skin emerges.