Methylisothiazolinone

If you suddenly developed contact dermatitis or an eczema like rash, please read this as it may help! Even if you haven’t experienced those, this could be good to know for future reference.
Around 2 months ago, I got a rash on my ring finger on my left hand, as well as pretty much all over my right hand. It’s been extremely itchy and painful and honestly kind of gross. The lotion I tried using for it only made it worse, and one day I used a pet shampoo for our dog and it made it burn so bad and incredibly hot. I assumed it was dyshidrotic eczema because the symptoms fit almost exactly. My boyfriend really thought it was contact dermatitis (which it seems like he’s probably right.) I started using an antibiotic cream, hypoallergenic lotion, and an anti-itch cream which has helped, but it randomly would come back and suck more again.
A girl I follow on Instagram also thought she had eczema, until today when she read and posted about Methylisothiazolinone. It’s a powerful, widely used preservative that is associated with allergies. It’s in so many things, I really could believe it (but it’s not in the Community Cosmetics products! lol) It causes contact dermatitis and an eczema-like rash, typically on the hands. According to one site, there was studies done with this on mammals and they showed it can possibly be neurotoxic.
I strongly suggest avoiding products that contain this AND methylchloroisothiazolinone (they’re pretty much the same thing.)

Thanks for the heads up on this. Here’s more information I found.

thanks for sharing.it’s great to learn about this.

My 10 yr old daughter is allergic to both. When she was a baby she had all sorts of skin issues. After many months we figured out that those 2 ingredients were in her baby wipes! All those days of not knowing what is wrong with your child can make you feel so helpless. That started my family on it’s natural product journey. You’d be amazed at what the government allows in your everyday products.

Which product ended up causing the rash, and what did you substitute it with?

Thank you for adding the link! I meant to for the page I was on but forgot

I’ll keep this post updated, but for now I’ve put aside everything I own that has it and I guess I’ll go from there. It’s really in practically everything, so I’m not sure which one in particular might have triggered it :woman_facepalming:

This is good to know, my son has had eczema since birth and I also have random reactions to things so I will keep a look out for this in my products.

Interesting. I know that when I had a similar rash on my ring finger, around where my ring sits I was able to fix the rash by cleaning my ring better. I think my rash was more from products sitting on or sticking to the ring and then being left on my finger which ended up getting irritated, if that makes sense. After the ring was clear, all the irritants were gone and my finger is fine once again, at least for now.

Quick update: I’ve been trying to avoid everything that contains this and have been applying an antibiotic cream, Aveeno lotion, and an anti itch gel (as needed) and I feel like it’s getting better! It’s not gone, but it doesn’t itch quite as often and definitely doesn’t hurt like it used too. Who knew a common ingredient could be so bad!

Did you take any photos of the condition that you could post, by chance? I’m wondering how this exhibited itself.

These first 2 are from about a month ago. This was actually a pretty decent day, but in person it looked a little more red. The other 2 are from today. It has spread since the first pictures, but overall it feels better!

@jesslosgar As @John asked, Have you been able to pinpoint the source(s)? That looks very itchy. Is it just on your hands? Could it be a hand soap or lotion, maybe not yours at home, but at work? Have you trying applying pure Aloe Vera gel to those areas?

@Freedom It is very itchy. I ended up making it worse today because I was mindlessly scratching at it :roll_eyes:
I haven’t found one single source yet. I don’t know if the ingredient is more potent in certain products or what. I’ve kind of just settled on avoiding it altogether. I really wish I knew what exactly triggered it. But I had read that, say it’s from a shampoo, you could have been using that same shampoo for years and will suddenly develop an allergy to it. I did switch out my shampoo to the Tresemme Thick and Full shampoo. I haven’t actually replaced anything else yet. My necessities don’t have it, so I can live without the things like conditioner for now. And I haven’t tried aloe yet! I need to pick some up, thank you for the suggestion!