Poll: Vote for your favorite Natural Deodorant Active Ingredient

Vote for your favorite Natural Deodorant Active Ingredient

(Click graphic to open and view options)

• Baking Soda
  • Essential Oils
  • Mineral Salts
  • Hops Extract
  • Witch Hazel
  • Alcohol

0 voters

Learn more in our Skin Care Uni: Deodorants & Antiperspirants

Questionnaire: Natural Deodorant Requirements
Poll: What type of deodorant do you typically use?
Week 16 Update

That was an interesting concept for a commercial back then. I wanted to know what M3 is, but couldn’t find anything relevant. But I found some interesting history on Mum Deodorant on Wikipedia. It’s sold today as Ban!

I am not familiar with all of them but I’d say baking soda.

I would think baking soda would work well, however, I am concerned about using it daily. Sometimes the skin under my arms can be sensitive to certain deodorants. I am not sure if baking soda would be too drying. I honestly don’t know a lot about all the choices in the poll above.

@cowgirl78 Yes, I know. Baking soda sounds nice and absorbent, but also drying. Does a great job in the fridge, but maybe too drying, used alone, in sensitive areas. The essential oils sound great but they can also be irritating. The hops sounded interesting, wonder what happens if you combine it with essential oils, something woodsy or citrusy? :cat:

My regular deodorant, Alvera Aloe & Almonds, has witchhazel in it, but it’s almost at the bottom of the ingredients list. The first ingredient is 75% Aloe Vera Gel. I’ve used this deodorant for several years, it’s always effective. @John, can Aloe Vera Gel be a consideration?
My other deodorant, Schmidt’s Charcoal + Magnesium, the one I was asked to review, has baking soda in it and it isn’t drying at all. It’s has some really good moisturizers included, coconut oil, shea butter, and jojoba seed oil. It also has activated charcoal.

It wouldn’t be an “active ingredient” but might be considered as part of the overall formulation.

I really have no idea what would be best. I am very new to trying natural deodorants. I am here to learn.

@Freedom Aloe vera sounds like a really good idea, re: moisturizing protection, while allowing baking soda or the like to do its deodorizing!

There’s no best, this is part of the fun! Pick one that appeals to you, they all have pros and cons.

Oh my! I LOVE the commercial! I mean, for the hilarity of it, not the acting. :joy:
So, I actually chose witch hazel as I’ve had a lot of experience using it for healing purposes (cuts, mosquito bites, acne, etc). I’ve also used it to make mosquito repellent and when making my own sugar scrubs. Oh, I’ve also used a dilluted version as a face toner in the winter as well.

Below is a bit of info I found on WebMD (which isn’t the best but it’s better than Wikipedia I suppose) that might help in knowing what witch hazel actually is and what it can be used for. Now … I don’t recommend drinking it. I mean … just the taste alone … ew. :nauseated_face:

Witch hazel is a plant.
The leaf, bark, and twigs are used to make medicine. You may see a product called witch hazel water (Hamamelis water, distilled witch hazel extract). This is a liquid that is distilled from dried leaves, bark, and partially dormant twigs of witch hazel.
Witch hazel is taken by mouth for diarrhea, mucus colitis, vomiting blood, coughing up blood, tuberculosis, colds, fevers, tumors, and cancer.
Some people apply witch hazel directly to the skin for itching, pain and swelling (inflammation), eye inflammation, skin injury, mucous membrane inflammation, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, bruises, insect bites, minor burns, acne, sensitive scalp, and other skin irritations.
In manufacturing, witch hazel leaf extract, bark extract, and witch hazel water are used as astringents to tighten the skin. They are also included in some medications to give those products the ability to slow down or stop bleeding. Those medications are used for treating insect bites, stings, teething, hemorrhoids, itching, irritations, and minor pain.
How does it work?
Witch hazel contains chemicals called tannins. When applied directly to the skin, witch hazel might help reduce swelling, help repair broken skin, and fight bacteria.
Possibly Effective for the following
Hemorrhoids. Applying witch hazel water to the skin may help to temporarily relieve itching, discomfort, irritation, and burning from hemorrhoids and other anal disorders.
Minor bleeding. Applying witch hazel bark, leaf, or water to the skin reduces minor bleeding.
Skin irritation. Applying witch hazel cream seems to relieve mild skin irritation, but not as well as hydrocortisone. Other research shows that applying a specific witch hazel ointment (Hametum) to the skin appears to improve symptoms of skin injury or irritated skin as effectively as a dexpanthenol ointment in children.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of witch hazel for these uses.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-227/witch-hazel

I think baking soda would work best, but it also can cause irritation to the skin.

Alcohol is the most effective anti-bacterial. Baking soda will neutralize odors, but as you said may very well irritate the skin, especially with continued use.

bacteria destroying hexachlorophene http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/400716740502-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Wow. Thank you for that! But why in the world would they call it M3??:woman_shrugging:t4:There’s not even an “m” in the word, hexachlorophene.

no idea. But thats what the ad said… weird

Never used a natural deodorant either! I use Dove dry sprays, and I’ve never actually even looked at the ingredients, but 99.9% of deodorants don’t get the job done for me & the Dove spray does, so I’ve always felt limited. I chose alcohol just because the infographic said it was the most effective.

(Also just read the deodorant topic & realized that I’m mostly talking about antiperspirants not working for me! The smell isn’t the issue; it’s the amount of sweat, even when it’s not hot out!)

I really like the commercial. :heartbeat: I chose Witch Hazel because I love the fact it helps cleanse and protects the skin. I actually use a great toner that contains witch hazel for my face daily.

This is interesting. Thanks for sharing!