Primary Cause of Aging, Free Radicals

"Spending money on antiaging products isn’t uncommon for many people nowadays. According to a report by market intelligence company Zion Market Research, the anti-aging product industry was valued at $140.3 billion in 2015, and is expected to skyrocket to $216.52 billion in 2021.1But what exactly is the cause of aging — the problem most people intend to solve by purchasing these products? All signs point to free radicals, which can lead to devastating effects if left unresolved. This article discusses what free radicals are, how they affect your health and the best methods to combat them effectively without putting a dent in your wallet.What Are Free Radicals?Free radicals are unstable and highly reactive atoms or group of atoms with an unpaired electron.2 Free radicals form in our body when one weak bond between electrons is broken, resulting in an uneven number of electrons. An unpaired electron becomes chemically reactive and will try to get an electron from a neighboring molecule to stabilize itself.3After the free radical gains an electron, its “victim” is now a molecule short and turns into a free radical that will also try to grab another electron from a molecule. This chain reaction is called a “free radical cascade,” which can impair living tissue. There are numerous examples of free radicals, most of which are derived from oxygen atoms and are called “reactive oxygen species” …(See full article by Dr. Mercola here: https://articles.mercola.com/free-radicals.aspx )

Attachments

Free radicals can be broken down into five types. The first four types come from oxygen atoms and are called Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS), but the fifth type derives from nitrogen:Superoxide ion (O): An oxygen molecule with an extra electron that can damage mitochondria, DNA and other molecules.Hydroxyl radical (OH): A highly reactive molecule formed by the reduction of an oxygen molecule, capable of damaging almost any organic molecule in its vicinity, including carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and DNA. OH cannot be eliminated by an enzymatic reaction.Singlet oxygen: Formed by your immune system, singlet oxygen causes oxidation of your LDL.Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2): Not a free radical itself, but easily converts to free radicals like OH, which then do the damage. Hydrogen peroxide is neutralized by peroxidase (an enzymatic antioxidant).Reactive Nitrogen Species (RNS) (NO): Nitric acid is the most important RNS.These various free radical species can damage DNA in different ways.They can disrupt duplication of DNA, interfere with DNA maintenance, break open the molecule or alter the structure by reacting with the DNA bases. Cancer, atherosclerosis, Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s disease, and cataracts are examples of diseases thought to result from free radical damage.In fact, free radicals are implicated in more than 60 different diseases.Lipids in cell membranes are quite prone to oxidative damage because free radicals tend to collect in cell membranes, known as “lipid peroxidation.” (The lipid peroxide radical is sometimes abbreviated as LOO.) When a cell membrane becomes oxidized by an ROS, it becomes brittle and leaky. Eventually, the cell falls apart and dies.This is akin to what happens when butter, vegetable oils or meat becomes rancid—and why manufacturers sometimes add agents to prevent that. How can this free radical pillage be stopped?This is where antioxidants come in.

Antioxidants are Your Body’s Solution to Counter Excessive Free Radicals. An antioxidant is a molecule capable of inhibiting the oxidation of another molecule. Antioxidants break the free radical chain of reactions by sacrificing their own electrons to feed free radicals, without becoming free radicals themselves.They are all electron donors.Antioxidants are nature’s way of defending your cells against attack by reactive oxygen species (ROS). Your body naturally circulates a variety of nutrients for their antioxidant properties and manufactures antioxidant enzymes in order to control these destructive chain reactions. For example, vitamin C, vitamin E, carotenes, and lipoic acid are well-known and well-researched antioxidant nutrients.Your body can manufacture some of these antioxidants, but not others. And your body’s natural antioxidant production tends to decline with age.Fortunately, most of the vegetables you eat are loaded with potent phytochemicals that act as antioxidants. And the closer they are to being harvested, the more potent these antioxidants will be—which is why you should consume the majority of your fruits and vegetables RAW and locally harvested. If you eat vegetables that have been harvested weeks before, as is common in most grocery stores, you will not be reaping much of the potential benefit the food has to offer you.Your body requires these important micronutrients to help you resist aging, generated by everyday exposure to pollutants in your food, water, and air. If you don’t have adequate antioxidants to help squelch free radicals, then oxidative stress tends to lead to accelerated tissue and organ damageOxidative stress can be defined as the state in which your free radicals outnumber your antioxidant defenses. They can also serve to shorten your telomere length, which many experts believe to be the most accurate biological clock we have.

Attachments

thanks for sharing the info.

Thank you for the information. I’m always amazed at how there is a solution, if we only do the research to find it. :+1:t4:

that was very educational and interesting i am glad you posted this.
i did not know how any of that worked, but i had heard a little about free radicals.

We can’t completely halt aging, but we can help hold the line. Eating well, including antioxidants (really pretty easy to get our hands on) can go a long way, coupled with enough sleep to give our bodies “repair time”.

Wow… that’s a lot of good information. I really had no idea what free radicals were, though I have often heard them mentioned in skincare commercials. I am happy that I grow my own garden so that the fresh veggies I eat can help combat those free radicals. I knew that eating fresh fruits and vegetables we’re usually better than the stuff you get from the grocery store, but I never thought about it being good for my skin.

Attachments

I was thinking the same thing. It is very interesting what free radicals are.

This is interesting. I know that the free radicals and anti aging
is why they say you should eat colorful fruits and veggies because each has different antioxidants that help get rid of those free radicals.

Wow wonderful information.
I am 53 and lots of this makes sense.

Awesome information!