Recycling

I usually save my favorites and make a video about all of them. Then put them out with the recycling bin every other week :slight_smile: anything glass I save and reuse

Like others have said, it depends on the container. If it’s a glass bottle with an effective pump mechanism I will transfer a skincare product to it from a jar.

I’ve always just tossed them, never thought to keep and use them for something else.

We can’t recycle glass in New Orleans (I know right??) and so I clean out my small glass containers from makeup and body care products, and use them as containers for homemade ‘gut shots’ or ‘immune shots’
to take in the morning!

I recycle my product containers whenever possible, especially glass, travel size bottles/jars and glass. Bobby pin tins are great to re-use for household and beauty items. They make great little sew kits, storage for q-tips, paperclips, lip balm, custom lip colors and the like. My favorite containers are metal tins that bath salts and even some candles come in. Generally the labels come off easily and make the perfect reusable container for homemade gifts or beauty items. I’ve made my own beautiful bath salts, body scrubs and candles for gift giving. Also great for my home made toothpaste hair mask and Hair pomeade. Baby food jars also have a myriad of beauty uses such as: disinfecting jar for small beauty tools such as makeup brushes, extraction tools and tweezers. Jewelry soak container. Q-tip, cotton dispenser. Mixing/storage container for custom mixed pigments and more…

Attachments

Tic tac containers and washi tape make great on the go Bobby pin holders.
Great for prom’s and weddings when you may need to repin your updo.

I’ve been saving most of my glass containers too. I haven’t found a use for them yet but I’m sure they will come in handy.

I hope this becomes more popular! That is great that you can separate composting materials even more from the garbage. Our recycling can is always filled up more than the trash can. If we did composting too there would barely be any garbage at all.

Yep. I actually asked the guy this, when you have single stream recycling and composting, you end up with very little garbage.

Looks good. I hate it when I have something big and can’t figure out how to dispose of it responsibly. More and more “junk removers” do recycle. I hear that the tops of bottles and jars are not welcome as they’re too small and will mess up the machines. Anyone know anything about this? We have so many, especially from bottled water.

I’m moving back into Portland and I am so excited for their trash program. They take garbage every two weeks and recycling/compost every week. The idea is to get everyone to sort their recycling more so that the city doesn’t have to deal with as much trash.

Also, I recently discovered this, send them your old mascara wands! https://www.appalachianwild.org/wands-for-wildlife.html

What a great idea! We have already cut way back on packaging, but we definitely have vegetable parings, fruit cores and seeds, etc, that I’d love to be in a position to weed out of the mostly unavoidable stuff, although they seem to be willing to take more and more stuff for recycling that originally no one seemed to want to bother with. I know, seemingly little to do with cosmetics, but if you want a beautiful, healthy earth, best not to load it up with garbage!:heart_eyes:

They should be mandatory everywhere. These are toxic chemicals are going straight through our skin and into our body, where our liver has to go into serious overdrive to try to remove them.

Here is a site that has a comprehensive list of countless number of companies that offer free, often incentivized recycling programs. Some include money/product donated charity or even free product.

Beauty Companies who offer recycling on their packing, some with incentives like free product…

THESE BEAUTY BRANDS RECYCLE YOUR EMPTIES (AND REWARD YOU FOR IT)

AVEDA
Aveda has teamed up with g2 Revolution, a recycling company, to allow customers to bring in any packaging and accessories from Aveda products to its stores. The packaging (or notoriously difficult-to-recycle pumps and brushes) they collect are then recycled, reused or burned for energy recovery.

For more info, visit aveda.com or contact fullcirclerecycling@aveda.com.

LUSH
Bring back five empty Lush pots to any Lush store for recycling and receive a free face mask.

For more info, visit lushusa.com.

Le Labo
Bring your empty Le Labo bottle back to a store for a refill and to receive 20 percent off.
For more info, visit [lelabofragrances.com]https://www.lelabofragrances.com/fine-fragrances-index.html

KIEHL’S
For each empty, full-size container you bring in for recycling to a Kiehl’s store, you’ll receive one stamp. Once you’ve racked up 10 stamps, you’ll receive a free travel-size Kiehl’s product.

For more info, visit kiehls.com.

ORIGINS
Origins accepts product packaging from any brand in its stores and was actually one of the first beauty companies to create a recycling program for cosmetics packaging in 2009.

For more info, visit origins.com.

Following is a link of all the beauty companies and the details of their programs and the incentives they offer. I’ve gotten many free MAC lipglosses using their prohram…

https://hellogiggles.com/beauty/beauty-brands-offer-incentives-recycling/

Here is a link of countless companies and sites that offer free recycling on virtually ever household product…

http://www.ecolife.com/recycling/tips-basics/where-to-recycle.html

Here in Utah, anything that isn’t “as clean as possible” ruins the entire batch when we put them in our recycle bin. Pretty much all of our “stuff” is sent to China to recycle. And even if soda from a left-over can of Cola leaks into the paper, cardboard, or anything else in our bin … the whole bin is shot to crap and tossed. Sadly … if you can’t clean it it probably can’t be recycled here. I did a lot of research and if you can’t clean most of whatever the product is inside of the container, it’s not worth recycling. Which is RIDICULOUS! But it is what it is. So we wash EVERYTHING now. Even small stuff. As for tubes, we soak them in soapy water and squeeze them to fill them up and then squeeze them again the next day to let that ick out and then fill them back up. We do this for about for about 30-days. The recycle company manager said “YAY FOR YOU” and to teach our neighbors the same because they were able to recycle our tubes since they were clean (apparently they test a few by cutting off the ends to see how clean they are).
Recycling has a HUGE impact on the world … but WE HAVE TO DO OUR PART to make it so (yes, I just Captain Picard’d that phrase). It is so much more complicated that we all think! RESEARCH your local recycling pick-up. You may be shocked at what they can and cannot recycle from your bins!

I think our movie and TV viewing must be seriously similar, in which case Picard (almost named one cat Jean Luc, but he refused to answer to it. He was also Zefrem for a while) would be proud of the line-up of containers on our bathroom sink, full of water loosening the leftovers so we can get rid of them. So, here’s something else to worry about. Are we using too much water?! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Wonderful Ideas! As it should be. Reuse what you can and recycle :recycle:️ every chance you get. :earth_africa:

All of our recycled items have to been cleaned out and free of chemicals. If I can clean the container and it is made of a recyclable item (glass, certain plastics etc) I will and then put it in the recycle bin. Some containers I will reuse if I have a use for them. Otherwise unfortunately they get put in the regular garbage.