Retinoids, Good Facts to Know

I’ve recently been focusing alot of my attention to the best, independently scientifically-proven ingredient that fights age related skin concerns. And all-things Retinyl has consistently been one of such topical miracle ingredients. The following post is directly from Allure Beauty Board and contains a great over all introduction about this ingredient with more details in following link:"The discussion surrounding the ‘R’ word is a frenzied one. Retinoids (the umbrella term for retinol products) are powerful enough to improve texture, pigmentation, and tone in just a few drops of serum or dollops of cream. The transformative effects on your skin are due to very potent formulations, which has caused retinols to garner a lot of differing opinions — and even more questions. When one should use them (along with when one should definitely steer clear of them), how the formulas work, if they are compatible for sensitive skin types, and even what to refer to them as (are they retinols? What’s a retin-A?) have confused many a skin-care fanatic. We’re here to offer some clarity. With plenty of false information floating around about retinoids, we’ve sifted through the craziest claims out there with the help of top dermatologists. Do all these ingredients starting with ‘R’ (Retinol, Retinoic Acid, Etc.) basically do the same thing?Yes and no. Prescription formulas contain retinoic acid, the magic ingredient that fights visible aging: nonprescription alternatives need to be converted into retinoic acid by the skin at the cellular level. “In off-the-shelf formulas, the ingredient called retinol is the only derivative of vitamin A worth using,” says Dana Sachs, an associate professor of dermatology at the University of Michigan Medical School. “There’s a lot of literature showing that while retinol is more gentle than retinoic acid, biochemically it does exactly the same thing — it may just take longer to see results.” The same can’t be said for the derivatives called pro-retinols (a.k.a. retinyl palmitate, retinyl acetate, and retinyl linoleate), which are the most gentle — but weaker, too. Of the formulas shown here, Retin-A requires a prescription, but the others are available over the counter: Skinceuticals Retinol 0.5contains retinol, while Murad Retinol Youth Renewal Night Cream has retinyl propionate, a less irritating form of vitamin A.Retinoids work by exfoliating your skin.Honestly, we thought they swept away dead skin cells, too. “There’s often peeling and redness, but that’s a side effect of the irritation — not a true and even exfoliation, like the one you get from an ingredient like glycolic acid,” says Sachs. “The peeling is certainly not why people start looking better. In fact, it’s why most people give it up.” Retinoids work at a much more profound level by affecting gene expression and causing enhanced collagen production, skin smoothing, and evening out …"https://www.allure.com/gallery/biggest-retinol-cream-myths

Attachments

Lot of info to digest. Thanks!

Thanks for posting this interesting article. I have always wondered about the difference in all those things. I always just thought they were sort of the same, but I had no idea that certain retinoids produced benefits quicker than others.

Thank you for this information.

I just started using a Retnoid serum. Way too soon to notice any transformative effects. But have noticed an near immediate improvement in texture. Any one else have any personal experiences with Retinoids?Vitamin C serum also seems to have multiple proven anti-aging benefits.

I have recently been trying to learn more information about anti aging products…thank you for sharing this!

yes thank you for sharing this there was another forum on here that made me more curious about retinol creams

I never know it had THIS many benefits! It sounds practically like a miracle ingredient, thank you for sharing all this! I’ll be replacing certain products with ones that contain Retinol! I’ll probably start with L’Oreal. They’re the first brand that came to mind because I’ve heard a lot about their Revitalift collection

Attachments

1 Like

thanks for the info.

I use a RX Retina and also rotate with a couple Retinol.
I have had much success of the years and really love the way this fabulous ingredient truly does benefit my skin.
Thank you for sharing this.

1 Like

I’ll have to look for retinoids in products, now.
Thanks!

Thank you for showing us that. It’s very interesting. I haven’t looked into retinoids before.

Very good and helpful information as I as well have been focusing more on age related products and ingredients to determine what is best for my skin and process being in my early 40’s.

Thanks for the info!

I generally avoid retinoid products because I had a bad experience. When I was in my early 20s I was struggling with acne and I talked to my doctor and was prescribed Retin A as well as clindamycin. My skin seemed like it was getting a little bit better although I still had quite a few pimples. Around the same time I had to do a sleep study for some insomnia issues I had (recently returned from deployment and everything was all out of whack) and they put these electrodes all over my face and head. They use this hospital grade cloth tape over the pads to keep them on while you sleep. When my sleep study was over, they pulled the tape off and off came several patches of skin with it. I had about 5 dime sized patches of skin peeled off of my face because my skin was so thinned out and sensitive from the Retin A. I also noticed that my skin was really easily irritated by everything and I couldn’t even use regular products without my face burning. Ever since then, I just don’t mess with it. Mileage may vary, but I thought I would share.

Which one are you using? Can you post the link?

1 Like

Hi @Freedom, I love Eva’s Naturals. I am always looking for multi-benefit products to reduce number of products, possible reactions, and it’s also easier on the wallet. This one has all three scientifically proven age-fighting super heroes and is all natural.
I’ve only been using this particular one for a week so it’s too soon to notice any visible results. But absolutely no bad reactions, dryness, redness etc.
Cant beat the $14 price too, 40% off and a replaced 3 serums. :blush::hugs:

Vitamin C Serum Plus 2% Retinol, 3.5%… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BT02Q88?ref=yo_pop_ma_swfdownload%20(5)

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll look into them.

Thank you! Time, money and distraction demand combination products. The trick is not sacrificing effectiveness of some functions while others shine. This looks good!

good to know the actual facts