🎓 Rosacea Overview

Rosacea (also known as Acne Rosacea, Adult Acne) is a common skin disorder in people 30 and older which exhibits itself as redness, often with sudden onset and accompanied with a feeling of heat. Sometimes acne-like pustules may form on the skin. Rosacea must be diagnosed and treated by a dermatologist.

Rosacea-600x350

Rosacea is a vascular disorder (related to circulation of blood) where the sudden rushing of blood to the face can stimulate the production of sebum and irritate follicles, causing the redness, heat, and acne-like conditions. Another side effect of the sudden flushing of blood to the face, is that it can trigger the release of Vascular Growth Factor, which triggers the growth of new blood vessels in the skin, creating a self-perpetuation which brings on further flushing.

While the exact cause of Rosacea is unknown, it’s appears to be hereditary and strongly related to people who blush easily. Theories abound, from mites to excessive yeast on the skin, though none have been scientifically proven.

While there is no cure, it may be controlled through medical treatment and lifestyle changes. Anything to help reduce skin flushing will help reduce flareups.

Lifestyle triggers to avoid

• Sun exposure - wear sunscreenHeat exposure (ovens, fireplaces, hot cars, etc.)Extreme temperatures (saunas, hot baths, hot water)
  • Exercise… it’s recommended to exercise indoors with a/c
  • Alcohol
  • Hot beverages
  • Spicy foods
  • Emotional stress
  • Caffeine

Skincare triggers to avoid

• Drying products
  • Alcohol-based products
  • Toner
  • Essential oils like peppermint, menthol
  • Exfoliants (chemical and abrasive), rough sponges
  • Masks which create heat or dry the skin

Read more about how to care for skin with Rosacea at the American Academy of Dermatology

Thankfully I’ve never had to deal with Rosacea.

Great info. Thank you.

I never really understood it until now, thanks for sharing!

Very informative but luckily I have never had this or really know anyone who does.

Thanks for sharing. I didn’t know Caffeine triggered it.

Ever since I was in highschool I got this but only when I drink alcohol. I sometimes still am like that but I rarely drink anymore so it’s not really an issue. I used to get it on my face, neck, chest and upper back but like I said, only when I drank.

I would disagree with the statement that rosacea must be diagnosed and treated by a dermatologist. Most primary care physicians can easily diagnose and treat this condition.

I have roseca. I haven’t found anything yet that actually helps beyond rosewater and chamomile tea bags. All of the positive results have been extremely temporary.

Fortunately, I have never had any signs or symptoms of Rosacea.
I know a few people who have it though.

Great info, thanks! Luckily, neither I nor anyone in my immediate family have rosacea.

I have
Rosacea
on my cheeks and chin and have since I was about 15.
I do have a cream from my dermatologist that I apply when it really erupts (and I mean erupts … as in even foundation and powder won’t cover it up).
Otherwise, it stays pretty calm unless I use a product that causes it to flare up.
Sometimes it can take a week for it to calm down again.

I have had rosacea since I was a teenager.
It never really bothered me until I was an adult. but I sometimes have trouble finding products that don’t irritate my skin.
Unfortunately the triggers are something that are hard to avoid.
I love being outside in the summer and sunscreen helps, but I definitely know that it irritates my rosacea
and hot beverages…I love my coffee :frowning:

i haven’t had to deal with this so far. but this is god to know information i might run into someone who i could use this information to help

ooh, the blushing! So many things to give up!

I’m thankful I haven’t had to deal with Rosacea, but I’m also not 30 yet and there are quite a few skin issues on my dad’s side so I guess it could be a waiting game lol. I also drink a ton of coffee. I had no clue that and a lot of the other things listed could trigger it! I assumed it was just hereditary and once you had it, it was always pretty much visible. I didn’t think specific things could actually bring on a flare up. I didn’t know much about it at all, thanks for all the information!Also, for anyone here who does have it and maybe wants to cover it but struggles to do so, Casey Holmes on YouTube has it and covers it amazingly!

People used to tell me they thought I had Rosacea but in reality I went to a dermatologist and now I know I have Keratosis Pilaris which is dry, bumpy “chicken-skin” as some people call it caused by clogged hair follicles.

I have rosacea and it’s a pain when it comes to picking medicine/moisturizers/face washes etc

I don’t have rosacea, but my boyfriend has had it his whole adult life. It seems to happen randomly at times and other times it’s after he gets annoyed or upset in some way. A spot or spots on his face will get really red and then a bump or sometimes a lump will appear there. He’s not one to use skin care or even an ice pack or anything so he just kind of rides it out.

Are you using any products you find successful in helping to cope with symptoms?