Shampooing and conditioning

I’ve been taught a lot about shampooing and conditioning in cosmetology school. Some of the things I’ve been told are:

1. It’s better on your hair and scalp if you don’t wash it daily, excessive shampooing strips the hair of its protective oil (sebum) which in small amounts, seals & protects the hair’s cuticle.
  2. Brushing your hair before shampooing is beneficial. It stimulates blood circulation to the scalp & helps remove dust, dirt & product build-up.
  3. Shampoo can be either alkaline or acidic. The more alkaline a shampoo is, the stronger and harsher it is. The pH balance in a shampoo is very important to pay attention to.
  4. Water also can affect shampooing. There is soft water & hard water. Hard water contains minerals that reduce the ability of soap or shampoo to lather.
  5. If you have naturally oily hair you shouldn’t use conditioner on your scalp, start about halfway down the shaft of your hair to apply conditioner. Excessive oiliness is caused by overactive sebaceous glands. Dandruff is the result of a fungus call malassezia, which needs to be treated with the correct shampoo.
    There are many different shampoos, some for dandruff, conditioning shampoos, clarifying shampoos, balancing shampoo…each of these are used for specific problems. Like balancing shampoos are used for oily hair & scalp, it will wash away excess oiliness while preventing your hair from drying out. Clarifying shampoo is used when a buildup is evident. (Ex: After swimming or after any chemical service) Conditioning shampoo is designed to make hair manageable, smooth & shiny.
    To get the best results from shampooing and conditioning, you need to try to have an idea of what kind of hair you have & it’s specific needs. I hope this helps some! Sorry, I know it’s long. If you have any questions, I don’t care not one bit to try to help. I’ll add some more info on this topic in a little while. :slight_smile:

some of that i have heard before, thank you for sharing. it was very interesting and i would love to hear more. :sunny:

You’re very welcome! I love that I can share some of what I know. Soooo more on the subject of shampoo…
:star: When selecting a shampoo you need to select one according to the condition of your hair & scalp. Hair can usually be characterized as oily, dry, normal, or chemically treated. Many good shampoos exist for every type of hair and/or scalp condition. Like I mentioned in my last post there are shampoos for dry, oily, fine, coarse, limp, lightened, permed, relaxed or color-treated and chemically treated hair. The list of ingredients is your key to determining which shampoo will work best. I can list all the different shampoos but it would take forever so if you want to know what shampoo would be best for you according to your hair, just ask! I’ll try to match you with products best suited for your hair type. Okay, back to ingredients in your shampoo, many shampoos have ingredients in common. It is often the small differences in formulation that make one shampoo better than another for a particular hair texture or condition. Ingredients are listed in descending order, according to the percentage of each ingredient in the shampoo. If you do a little research on what to look for you can choose shampoo that will work best for you! :blush: The pH level of a shampoo is a big determining factor when selecting one, the amount of hydrogen in it determines whether it is alkaline or acid. I touched a little on this in my other post but I’d like to explain it a little more. The more alkaline the shampoo, the stronger and harsher it is. A high pH shampoo can leave your hair dry, brittle, and porous, it can also cause fading in color treated hair. A slightly acidic shampoo more closely matches the ideal pH of hair. Then you have your water…Soft water is rainwater or chemically softened water that contains only small amounts of minerals and, therefore, allows soap and shampoo to lather freely. It is preferred for shampooing. Hard water is often in well water & contains minerals that reduce the ability to lather (I know I done said this) Hard water may also change results of haircoloring. So be careful!
I’m going to stop now cause I don’t even know if I’m making any sense lol! I’m finding it hard to explain. I’ve got one last tip tho, when you go to shampoo put a little in your hair & massage in, (don’t use your nails to scratch your scalp) rinse then repeat. The second time your shampoo will really lather up nicely then condition like usual. If anyone wants any suggestions, just lmk. I’ll help all I can! If you have questions about something I’ve wrote, just ask. I can try to explain it a little better. I know it’s a lot to take in. :heart:

:thinking: And I just realized I wrote a book. :rofl: Sorry about that!

https://www.refinery29.com/conditioner-before-shampoo-hair-trick](https://www.refinery29.com/conditioner-before-shampoo-hair-trick

@Achalala11 I’ve got a feeling many of us shampoo too often, even with good stuff. Once a week here, unless outside circumstances prevail in which case my hair turns into slightly frizzy clumps. On a related subject, I picked up some biotin containing shampoo, as well as a biotin supplement. I don’t take the biotin daily and I’ve only used the shamppo twice, but I think there’s less hair in the brush! I’m hedging on the name, because all I remember offhand is Tresemme. I washed and went to bed. That was Tuesday night and while I picked it up to hold the line on loss, my hair looks and feels great, the frizz is tamed and those little nests that make their appearance after you’ve gone out in public are gone. Maybe I just got lucky, the experiment continues!:heart_eyes:

The new fad of dry shampoo… verdict is out, it’s not good for your hair. “Dry shampoo builds up on your scalp, along with oils, dirt, and bacteria. This can cause itchiness and breakouts and can prevent your hair from shedding as it naturally would. The aluminum starch is great for absorbing oils, but it sits on your scalp and can clog your pores.”

Amen to that! I definty agree and also it is good to use a clarifying shampoo or creme. KMS has a clarifying cream and it works really well. My hairdresser once told me baking soda would take out the build up of products from my hair but when I tried it it did not give me the results I was looking for.

I shampoo only 2 times a week, condition every other day and I find my hair is in better shape.

Once a week or so, with a moisturizing shampoo did a world of change for me. Obviously,there will be times when I need to shampoo more often, but by and large less is more. (Depending on the brand, my wallet likes this routine too!)

I’ve tried that one, but it didn’t work well for me. It didn’t actually cleaned, so I just kept on using as conditioner.
I used to have oily hair, then I stopped using shampoo everytime I washed my hair, it worked perfect for me. It takes a while for the scalp to adjust to the new treatment, it will reduce to peirce oils slowly.
Now I only use shampoo before a hair treatment, like once a week and in between I use water only or co-wash (after sleeping with coconut oil on my hair).