Strangest Ingredient

What is the strangest ingredient in a beauty product you’ve tried and did it actually work as claimed?

Korean Skin Care

I’ve tried a few products with seaweed in them. I think they worked they were moisturizers so i felt my skin did feel better hydrated.

I’m sitting here trying to figure out if I ever tried a product with anything strange in it, but I really can’t think of any.

Bee pollen.

And yes it worked!

What product was the bee pollen in and what benefits did you notice from it?

Bearberry and Licorice in an all natural skin whitening agent for hyperpigmintation. And yes, works just as good as
Hydroquinone, a manufactured benzene, which can have serious side effects

Snail masks.
Quite hydrating!

i haven’t tried anything with any strange ingredients in them.
sea weed isn’t strange to me because my mom uses products with it in them and loves the after effects of it. but i usually only buy products that have ingredients i know. i just don’t like to take that kind of risk with my face, my hair , or my body.

Hmm. I really can’t think of anything too strange that I’ve actually used, but I remember before I really knew much about skin care at all, I thought avocado masks were strange! At the time I had no clue it could be beneficial, and it just seemed so odd to me! But based on the comedogenicity chart, avocado oil is “mildly comedogenic” although I don’t exactly know if straight avocado is too.

Attachments

I bet they are, but those snails are pretty much safe from me. Wonder if lox would work?

I’ve never tried any strange ingredients in anything either but I once tried some hair product with avocado in it.

I’ve never really tried one with strange ingredients but I have pet hermit crabs and they need salt and fresh water. So I buy instant ocean powder at the pet store to mix up their salt water. Someone had asked in a group if anyone used it for their hair. I’ve done it a couple times. My hair normally gets greasy within 24-36 hours of washing but with this instant ocean it actually didn’t get greasy for 3-4 days. I just mix it up let it sit in my hair for 3-5 minutes and then wash and conditioner as normal.
Although I should say I have no clue how safe this is for your hair. But it’s supposed to be like ocean water so I figure can’t be that bad when people swim in the ocean and I just rinse after a few minutes.

There are so many salt water spray on the market, that makes total sense!
Also one of those products where you really can DIY effectively from what I have read. I am going to share this with my sis who got the thick & wavy gene. I picked up a sample size of Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray–my hair is so fine that I am pretty much certain even glue would not give it lift, but the stuff smelled incredible, just like, well, the beach & I often use it just because I dig the smell!!
PS. I think that is cool you have hermit crabs, I always see them for sale at the beach and feel kind of sad for them sitting among the clam shell ashtrays and neon mesh cover ups.

Seriously can’t think of anything. I am not squeamish most of the time, but when I got a sample of a kbeauty snail cream (i forgot the brand), I just couldn’t try it.
I think it is because of a bad night where I stepped on slug while barefoot. It seriously took me at least an hour to scrub off whatever kind of goop they secret and it also burned a tad. Poor slug.

and poor me.
I have seen, but not tried–garlic shampoo, also nail polish–i love garlic, but it does not appeal to me: placenta (i think it is cow) hair treatments. I have tried the Mane and Tail shampoo, which I guess is not weird at this point, but it didn’t do any kind of magic, but I know some people love it. At one point they had a nail polish and that was actually really good. It was a clear top coat that was incredibly tough.
I have not any kind of miracles happen with
animals grooming products that people rave about–bag balm, udder cream…

You just reminded me of the Hask Placenta hair treatments my mom used to give me when I was younger. It really did work and it made my hair super soft.

Attachments

Beer for hair… When you soak, rinse, or spritz your hair with beer, its natural ingredients coat each strand and lend hair-nourishing benefits. In addition to B vitamins, the proteins found in malt and hops are said to repair damaged hair and boost overall body. Meanwhile, the maltose and sucrose sugars in beer tighten the hair’s cuticles for enhanced shine.Although it is debatable whether the corn, rice, or wheat protein in beer can actually deposit on your hair to form a strengthening film, there is no question that it makes hair seem thicker. This effect may be attributed to the proteins left on the hair fiber, though beer also seems to slightly swell the hair shaft. Ideal for fine hair, an at-home beer solution is an economical alternative to the $20-40 thickening tonics on the market, since it kills two birds with one stone- adding extra volume while at the same time coating the cuticles with shine.

Attachments

Introducing our new “salad line” which includes an apple cider vinegar shampoo, garlic conditioner, and seaweed saline hair spray!

I’m almost afraid to ask what’s in it.

I kid you not, my roommate in college one night was applying Donkey Milk cream (with argan oil). I cannot really imagine what the benefits of applying donkey cream to your face is, but here is the amazon link for anyone that wants to find out and let me know!

I think they use rabbit placentas but how they came up with that idea is beyond me