Strangest Ingredient

As a chemically inert material, do you recall what the manufacturers stated what the purpose of the gold was for?
Aside from luxury and aesthetics, I can’t imagine.

I had to look it up on Sephora’s website because I couldn’t remember specifically what the gold was supposed to do. The site says that the 24K gold is supposed to help lift and firm the appearance of the delicate eye area in as little as 10 minutes. It also says it is supposed to help brighten and calm the appearance of the skin, while giving it an opulent glow. I honestly couldn’t see any difference in the skin under my eyes after using them, but they were really pretty. Overall, it was a waste of money in my opinion.

Found some independent expert opinion on the benefits of gold in skincare. Quoted with link at the end from ResearchGate net. Following the below comments, the original post also has detailed research results. I know from personal experience I did not notice much benefit from using gold in skincare. I used Orogold for about 3 months.
"Benefits of Gold for Skin Care1. Wrinkles, Fine Lines, Spots Can Be Reduced:To have a clear skin, free from wrinkles & spots is every woman’s ultimate desire. Gold can activate the basal cells of the skin which reduces the elasticity of the skin. It thus reduces wrinkles, fine lines, blemishes and marks on the skin, and will make you look younger.2. Stimulates The Skin Cells:The ions present in gold help in stimulating the cells, nerves and veins in your body which leads to improved blood circulation. This will increase the metabolism of skin cells and secretion of the waste. Gold can help to stimulate the cells and have a healthy skin.3. Premature Aging Of The Skin Can Be Prevented:Dryness of skin can lead to its premature aging. Use of gold can reduce the dryness of skin and helps in increasing the metabolic rate. This would prevent the skin from premature aging.4. Gold Can Lighten The Complexion:As we recollect history, it was rumored that one of the beauty regimes that Cleopatra followed was the use of gold. Cleopatra used a gold mask every night to enhance her complexion and keep her skin youthful, glowing and beautiful.5. Collagen Depletion Is Slowed Down:Collagen is naturally produced in your body which keeps the body flexible. It is responsible for giving smooth skin and shining hair. The collagen level in the body starts depleting from the age of 25 and this is when you notice the changes on your skin. Skin care with gold can slow down the depletion of collagen level in your skin cells.6. Sun Damage Can Be Treated:We all are very concerned for our skin getting tanned under the sun. Production of melanin or black pigment in the skin is responsible for tanning of the skin, when exposed to sunlight. The production of melanin in the body can be reduced with the use of gold.7. Allergies Can Be Treated:Egyptians believed that gold has medicinal properties that can help in healing a few diseases. The antioxidant properties present in gold helps in increasing blood circulation which leads to reduction in acne and other skin allergies.8. Inflammation Can Be Treated:Gold is said to have anti-bacterial and anti-inflammation properties that help oxygen to enter into the skin for renewal of the cells. This helps in treating ulcer and other inflammatory disorders of the skin. It is also known to rejuvenate your skin.9. Elasticity Of The Skin Can Be Increased:Skin tends to sag when its elasticity decreases or is completely lost. Use of gold can breakdown the elastin gradually and restore the elasticity of the tissues. This would further prevent the skin from sagging. Gold increases the elasticity of the skin, thus makes it firm and toned.10. Glowing Skin:Gold helps in improving the blood circulation, hence it helps hydrate and maintain the skin’s moisture level. The small particles of gold get absorbed into the skin imparting a rich glow. This makes the skin healthy, fresh and radiant.Gold not only gives a beautiful, glowing and youthful skin but is also beneficial in many ways. It slows down the collagen depletion, increases skin’s elasticity, lightens the skin’s complexion, stimulates the cells making the skin firm, improves blood circulation and prevents premature aging, wrinkles, tanning etc. www.researchgate.net/post/ What_are_the_health_benefits_of_gold_in_cosmeticswww.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-gold-for-skin-care/

Debunking Gold Skin Care Products

Really peaked my interest! Having trouble pulling up
these links right now, but I will be looking for solid research. On the one hand, depending on the cost of the products, maybe if you can afford them you also feel hugely comfortable in your own skin and maybe a little over the top. On the other hand, this is an element and it may well have healing and nutritive values we haven’t yet begun to investigate rationally and sincerely. Looking forward to finding out.

Be wary of what is considered “expert opinion” on the internet.

I suspect the reason why you, and countless others found no effect from using gold-infused skincare products is that it’s all marketing and completely bogus.
So much so, I’m going to address each of these claims in a separate post.

“Always remember that oftentimes these claims about skin care in particular have little to no research behind them and they may be based in superstition, popular trends, or “traditional medicine.””

I refuse to use donkey/horse milk or oil because of the cruel practices around them. There are tons of articles about this, especially the on the oil. Always do research before trying a new product.

I don’t know why, but “donkey milk” products sound considerably more gross to me than “snail mask” :snail: products.

Yes! See my topic on Gold Skincare

I realize that there are people out there who think the stranger sounding a product is, the better it must be. I am not a vegan, but I’d sure rather see that label on a skin care product or cosmetic than the above, or maybe “donkey mask” or “snail milk” (you know someone will go for it!). Not only do we not know what some poor creature went through, but there is a serious “YECCH!” factor involved. I’m willing to bet there are few studies on how that ingredient works on human skin. :grimacing:

Snake venom, well not a real one but synthesized snake venom. It’s actually kind of smelly. The product smelled like a kitty litter box. I actually still used it out of curiosity and it was effective at wrinkle reduction. Would I use it again, may be. It’s pretty pricey. The product is called wrinkle killer by skin chemists. The company is based in the UK as well so shipping is a bit costly.

Yep, I’ve tried the snail mucin too and it also works really well. The ones I’ve used are cruelty free and the mucin is extracted without harming them at all. It’s honestly not as slimy as it sounds either.

Have you guys heard about that new blood cream? they take blood from you and make a cream out of it and it’s supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties. Would you ever use something like that?

That’s an interesting idea and question. I would have to have my blood clinically assessed before making a decision like that. Not that I think there’s anything wrong with my blood, I just wonder how effective it would be outside of my body. Would whatever anti-inflammatory benefits remain viable outside of me and or mixed with other inorganic materials? It sounds unlikely.

The benefits of blood on the skin go way back to the 1590’s. Elizabeth Bathory used to bathe in the blood of her murder victims as part of her beauty routine. It’s the plasma and the platelet’s that allegedly give you are more youthful appearance. There’s been tons of celebrity endorsements as well but the cream is like $200 for a small jar. For that price it better perform miracles hahaha

Snail masks for sure.