Tuesday Newsday - Men's Skin Care Industry is Booming

In today’s skincare news — the men’s skincare industry is booming!

Men-targeted skin care product sales have jumped 7% in the past year, and the men’s personal care market is expected to hit $166B by 2022.

What do you think about the expanding interested by men in skin care? Would you be interested in gender-neutral skincare products?

1 Like

Ive always been a fan of men who enjoyed good grooming products. I think the industry now is just more in the public for other reasons, but I know men who have always cared about how they looked and smelled. That received manicures and pedicures. To me I’m glad it’s more prevalent There should be more items available to men.

3 Likes

Skin is skin, the products wouldn’t change. The packaging and marketing towards men, that’s where the revolution needs to be.

3 Likes

I love it! I totally enjoy a man who takes real good care of himself! Especially the personal hygiene category! Men are realizing that they too need to keep up with the times!

2 Likes

I’ve talked to so many guys who say they wish they had access to foundation when their teen acne was bad, that they’d love deodorant with a less intense and cologne-ish smell, they wish they had 500 options of lotion, etc.

I’m personally also so tired of the “pink tax”, like why does my razor have to cost more when it’s the EXACT SAME as the men’s one but in a different color?

Society is becoming more flexible about gender roles anyway, and efficacy really doesn’t change based on who’s using a product. I think there’s a huge untapped market in gender-neutral or noncomforming (like eyeshadow glitter for men) products. From a purely economic standpoint there isn’t necessarily a reason to avoid increasing accessibility, but companies are run by humans and humans tend to be guided by their personal views as well.

2 Likes

OMG I literally buy men’s razors for this exact reason!!!

PREACH SIS!

3 Likes

Me too!:scream: I think men razors are the best! I’ve tried all the females and compare to the male razors they fail miserably!! :grin:

2 Likes

I think it’s always been a trend but now that they are marketing products specifically for men it’s taking off more.

I think it’s great for men to take care of themselves just as well as we do. I also started buying men’s razors too lol.

@Melissa_Levick I just wanted to say I really appreciate your choice (curation?) of articles and news. There is so much crappy media out there so it’s a breath of fresh air to see articles that are actually balanced, well-researched, and full of useful citations.

1 Like

I think its great! I’ve been slowly getting my husband to use products - on his own. I offer and then if he declines I say " Okay, they’ll be here if you ever want to use them." It leaves it up to him and slowly over the past few years he has been using some. However, i think it might be used more if it wasn’t a marketed item for females, or didn’t have pretty packaging.

1 Like

I have to agree with @avantgarde

1 Like

I’ve bought mens razors for years since I could care less that its a blue, black, or grey color and not some pretty pastel color. If it works that’s all that matters.

1 Like

I’ve seen some really absurd examples like pink ballpoint pens.

This also happens with things other than gender. For the same brand, 25mg of diphenhydramine has a different cost depending on whether the bottle says “allergy meds” or “sleep meds”.

As a consumer, it takes some extra effort to learn about ingredients and how your products are put together, but that time pays off when it leads you to make smarter purchasing choices.

Again I agree with @Amy_May, skin is skin. The only difference is that men can grow facial hair. Well my female college roommate did have a mustache, but that’s not the norm.

My brother uses the Derma E products my sister suggested, and they’re not tailored to men, but they work for him just like they do for us.