What do you do with used products?

I feel so bad throwing out used makeup but sometimes it’s just not in good enough condition to donate or give away. What are some creative ideas to make use of old makeup and hair/skin products? So far I’ve figured out that most pigmented cosmetics can be used for “painting”.

1 Like

I toss it in the trash most of the time. There usually isn’t much left to worry about,and if I buy eye make up that looks better in the pallet then on me, my 12 year old usually swipes it.

1 Like

Such a good question! I think, unless they are really old/expired, the kid idea is kind of a good one? I feel like kids really want to use makeup and express themselves and (as long as their parents are ok with it), it’s a great place for old products to go! Same for hair!

2 Likes

I’d definitely do that if I had kids or any of my friends did! That would be a great use even for products that have gone bad like old lotion or mascara, because the kids could cover toys with it. I think all of us have probably gotten in trouble as kids for putting makeup all over a doll or stuffed animal :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I used to DUMP OUT all of my mom’s and sister’s hair products, mix them in the sink, and then put them back into bottles as one big concoction. They were NOT happy with me lol!

3 Likes

I covered my ENTIRE face with bright red lipstick one time. I got in SOOOOO much trouble but my parents made sure to get a photo first :joy:

2 Likes

Not much to do with left over makeup, I’m not one to allow kids to use makeup until they reach a certain age! So my suggestion is you are now aware of your makeup usage so going forward you only get enough that will supply your needs! And try to discipline yourself to using a product to finish! And not be tempted to buy the newest trend :weary: (this part is hard) until your old stuff is through! Ooorrrr! You could do like me and rotate your makeup so you can use up the older ones for eg:
Wear the older ones on errands like going to the supermarket etc.
And wear the new stuff to work or date night or out with the ladies.

2 Likes

Those are all great ideas! I usually give away or sell any products I won’t finish, but sometimes there’s stuff I really like and use daily but can’t get through the full thing before it expires. I’ve seriously never used up a full eye oil within the 6-12 months the bottle says it’s good for.

Lol typing this gave me the idea to start buying the deluxe sample sizes instead, so that’s a potential solution!

1 Like

Truly good ideas too bad I don’t have any lol.

I usually given them to close family members.

I do too. I was stuck on what to do with products that aren’t in a good enough condition to be used at all though (dried up, “gone bad”, etc)

Unless someone is a strict user of brushes and applicators when applying cosmetics, I wouldn’t pass on used cosmetics to anyone. The risk of infection is too high. I trash them.

2 Likes

I don’t feel the need to buy tons of stuff. Makeup and skincare have expiration dates. I will never understand people who have to have the latest new palette and it looks just like the other brand’s palette that has been used once.

Depending on the item I will give products I don’t need to friends and family, like skincare that is dispensed with a dropper.

1 Like

I don’t really buy multiples but things still add up from the occasional gift, free sample, etc.

My skin also changes due to diet/exercise, meds, humidity, etc. so some products start out fine but stop working the same later on. I’ve had some primers and face powders that are fine for 3 months then suddenly start giving me acne, redness, or dry skin :woman_shrugging:t2: Or eyeshadow and eyeliner that starts out very durable then halfway through the product it starts coming off of my face after 1 hour of wear. I’ve gone through just about every method for storage and sanitizing, which have helped a bit, but that hasn’t solved everything.

I also have some products that I just don’t get through by the time they expire, so buying less wouldn’t solve that - although this thread did inspire me to start buying deluxe sample sizes instead. I also had a period of trying to be more eco-friendly by buying in bulk… turns out that’s a terrible idea because whatever I save on packaging ends up being negated by products expiring.

Lol and sometimes I just screw up a product by leaving it in the car, traveling with it, etc.

1 Like

I do have plenty of people who can take usable products off my hands, but I can’t give away things like mascara or expired skincare.

Deluxe samples are a great idea.

1 Like

Someday I’ll actually do the math to see whether it’s better for the environment to use more packaging by buying smaller sizes, or to save packaging but throw out product. That’ll be a lot of research though so for now I’ll stick to focusing on wasting less product haha

@avantgarde Brought up a very good point about skin changes and how that determines a product’s usage before it’s time to toss it.

I tend to get a little darker in the Summer months, but it’s not really cost effective to buy a full size foundation just for the Summer months. Because I don’t wear it everyday anyway, and I rarely put it all over my face, it probably wouldn’t be as fresh as it should be when the time rolled around for me to use it again.

I’ve discovered a brand named Haleys that isn’t as “junkified” as other brands, that offers 4 sample colors for $4. The coverage is really impressive, even though I use very little. For as often as I wear it, they are sufficient for me.

1 Like

This is awesome!! I also have issues for summer. I get maybe 2-3 weeks per year of actually having darker skin on my face because it takes me so long to build a tan and whatever tan I get also fades really quickly, especially since I started actually using SPF on a daily basis.

1 Like