🎓 What is Comedogenicity?

[kom-i-doh-jen-ik]

The tendency of topical substances to increase the buildup of dead cells within
follicles, causing the development of comedones, which can lead to acne eruptions.

Open Comedones Blackheads. Being exposed to the air causes oxidation, which
is what makes them black (not dirt).

Closed Comedones Whiteheads.

It can take months for comedones to occur through product exposure.

The ingredients most likely to cause comedones are emollients, which have large molecules that sit on the surface of the skin, helping to trap moisture and lubricate the skin.

There are many types of emollients including oils, waxes, fatty acids, and more.Here is a list of common comedogenic ingredients:

Notes: Fractionated Coconut Oil is not your grocery store coconut oil, and is non-comedogenic.

Just because an ingredient may be considered comedogenic, doesn’t mean it will give you acne. It depends largely on the concentration of that ingredient present in the product, along with your skin’s natural susceptibility to clogged pores and breakouts.

Area of application is also a factor. Most people won’t break out on their legs, lips, and eyelids so non-comedogenic ingredients may not be as important here.

:newspaper_roll: The Controversial Influence of Moisturizers on Skin Water Barrier

this is interesting.
i have always wondered what caused black and white heads.

Very interesting info. It’s nice to have this list of ingredients that can often lead to blackheads, whiteheads, and acne. I think I’m gonna start checking my skincare for all these ingredients, especially the highly comedogenic ones. I have definitely noticed that certain products do cause me to breakout, maybe they have some of these ingredients in them.

I need to avoid all these ingredients.

The tendency of topical substances to increase the buildup of dead cells within
follicles,
causing the development of comedones, which can lead to acne eruptions.Open Comedones Blackheads. Being exposed to the air causes oxidation, which
is what makes them black (not dirt).Closed Comedones Whiteheads.It can take months for comedones to occur through product exposure.The ingredients most likely to cause comedones are emollients, which have large molecules that sit on the surface of the skin, helping to trap moisture and lubricate the skin.
There are many types of emollients including oils, waxes, fatty acids, and more.Here is a list of common comedogenic ingredients:]

Wow, that looks like so many of the things pushed as natural bases!

This is very informative.
Surely, I will be on the lookout for ingredients on this
list to avoid.

Exfoliation is key, in addition to avoiding comedogenic ingredients, in preventing acneic conditions. I use a combination of alternating
mechanical and chemical methods. In addition to less acne, exfoliation increases cell turnover and has anti-aging effects, decreases dullness and discoloration.

I love coconut oil for many things, but glad I avoid using it on my face.

Yes.
Just because it’s natural, doesn’t mean it’s safe.

Hmm, I think I’m gonna need to have a look at all the products I use lol. I wish all brands would just avoid these ingredients! I’m sure for the most part, they’re completely unnecessary.

I only had one blackhead before and unfortunately it left a scar. It was interesting to find out why they appear sometimes.

And I always cringe when I see coconut oil as a part of someone’s facial skincare routine! I used to use it on my arms with no problem, but I never wanted to put it on my face for this reason. I guess some people don’t have issues with it, but I would assume it’s best to just avoid that altogether.

I was aware of the meaning of comedogenic, but have never seen a breakdown like this witj specific ingredients.
I usually always try to use non-comedogenic ingredients, but this is very informative.

This is kind of shocking. Having worked in cosmetics while in college we learned the term noncomedogenic as it related to our particular cosmetic lines. What is so surprising is that olive oil IS considered comedogenic, while mineral oil and petrolatum IS NOT??

Wow, I’m amazed at what I am learning here.Where does Argan, Shea Butter,Lavender and other type oils fit into this list?Just curious…

Nice explaination and visual aid.

Thanks for sharing that info.

I like the way this information is presented. It is defined in a way that someone of each learning style is able to understand and retain. Also, both left and right brained people are able to understand this clearly. I noticed that olive oil is a 5. I have dry skin and I love olive oil. I follow a Korean 10 step beauty routine and I use all natural products. I’m very happy with the results. That is just my skin though. Thanks for the information.

As someone who suffers from both whiteheads and blackheads this is great information! Will definitely be discontinuing a few of my current skincare products! Thanks for sharing!